This episode is subtitled: ‘A tissue-in-the-wash day…’
Do you ever have a bad hair day? I don’t. That’s because I usually just scape my hair back, tie it up into some non-descript style and don’t give it another thought until it’s time to lay my head on the pillow and go to sleep. So a day when everything seems to be going wrong couldn’t really be called a bad hair day in my book. Now, a ‘tissue-in-the-wash’ day, well that hits the spot.
I decided to do a bit of vacuuming yesterday morning before work while I waited for the wash cycle to finish, knowing that although we had a busy day ahead in the flower shop, the eight (eight!) funeral arrangements were already completed and ready to go. The girls could cope with passing trade and phone orders while I did the funeral delivery, undertook the wedding consultation with a bride we’d not met yet, decided on this week’s flower order and did some other admin. As I pulled the washing out of the machine the obscenity that came out of my mouth, although quite mild in nature, was so forceful in delivery that Blue trotted into the next room out of my way. A tissue is such a small thing but it turns a simple domestic task into a job three times bigger than it was meant to be, plus I’d just done the vacuuming and now there seemed to be snow everywhere!
With most of the mess cleared up I headed into work, only slightly later than planned. As I walked through the door Jaz was on the phone reassuring someone that there would be no problem and of course we’d be able to manage, ‘Just leave it with us,’ she said and put the phone down.
‘There’s been a mix up,’ she announced. ‘The eight arrangements are to go next to the coffin in the car but they’ve forgotten to order the main spray for the top – every member of the grieving family thought someone else had ordered it.’
Oh my goodness, I had to be on my way with them all in twenty minutes so I started to load the van, Jaz started to grab flowers to match the requirement (boy were they lucky we had the right things in stock) and Gillian soaked the foam and got the foliage in. We did it, although I was a bit disappointed it wasn’t quite to our usual standard but to the untrained eye I’m sure it looked great – and better than no spray at all!
They were all safely delivered in plenty of time so calmness was restored. But not for long. I had been looking forward to turning the radio up and having a good sing in the van on my way back to work but the van wouldn’t start. Two of the drivers from the funeral directors had to push me out of their way and leave me to it while they carried on with their duties and I waited for the breakdown service. What about the wedding consultation? First impressions for this bride weren’t going to be good if I couldn’t even be at the meeting on time, and I knew she’d taken a day off work specifically to do wedding stuff.
It was an agonizing 50 minute wait for roadside assistance and then a further 15 minutes to diagnose the problem and get me going again. Jaz had assured me she could manage but I, the control-freak, really wanted to be there and it wasn’t going to be possible. I stumbled through the door, excuses almost out of my mouth before I noticed Jaz passing a receipt to our guest for the deposit she’d just paid us for her wedding flowers. Jaz is brilliant. She even made me a cup of tea so I could crack on with my admin.
So there you have it, my tissue-in-the-wash day. When I got home from work I decided I deserved a bit of therapeutic sewing. My sister, Laura, had given me some jeans she’d got for Ray that were an incredible bargain but far too long for him. I didn’t manage to turn up the jeans last night but I did use the denim I cut off to make a cute needle case!
Here are the two pieces I cut off.
You can see that there doesn’t appear to be a great deal of denim there until I opened up the side seams and hem to reveal a lot more. You do get markings on the fabric where the seams were (even though they were brand new) but it adds to the charm.
I cut a piece 20cm x 10cm and the same in a piece of patterned cotton (my patterned piece is from a fat quarter from Hobbycraft). I also cut a smaller piece of felt to go inside (mine was about 15 cm x 7cm and I decided to use pinking shears to give it a zig zag edge) and a few things for embellishment on the outside.
I attached Bondaweb to a small piece of fabric before cutting the heart out then I ironed it onto the denim and added the button with a small piece of felt underneath to match the felt inside.
I pinned the two main pieces of fabric together (right sides together) and then stitched them, leaving a gap to turn it right way out.
After I’d trimmed the corners and turned it right way out I pinned the felt to the middle and stitched it down. And that’s all there is to it.
- If you’d like to see more in depth instructions for sewing your main pieces together and turning it right way out then the principle was the same for making the book cover in episode 3.
- When you’re positioning your heart (or whatever embellishment you choose) don’t forget to take account of the seam allowance on the right hand side of the fabric. I did, but still didn’t get it quite right!
- Old button
I hope you enjoy making this simple little needle case. You can use up scraps and buttons to make whatever design you like.
See you next week.